History

Summer at CR

The Gardens

The Gardens form a long site divided into two main segments, Duncan Terrace Gardens and Colebrooke Row Gardens. The southernmost section, Duncan Terrace Gardens, first opened as a public garden in 1893. Previously, for much of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, the New River, which brought water into North London from Hertfordshire, from 1609 – 1613,  ran the length of these Gardens but in the mid-nineteenth century it was enclosed [1861], the river bed covered up and the space planted as gardens in about 1871.

Duncan Terrace Gardens [the southernmost garden] was laid out by the Metropolitan Parks and Gardens Association in 1892-3. The design was developed by Fanny Wilkinson whose planting scheme included weeping willows over a winding path, and was intended to be reminiscent of the New River that was once above the ground. The blocks of tufa stone, a type of limestone,  that is set into the banks along the edge of the path in Colebrooke Row Gardens, the more northern garden was probably part of her  and original design. Colebrooke Row Gardens returned into public ownership in 1951 and re-landscaped.

The most northernly part of Colebrooke Row Gardens is the unrailed bank of grass with medium-sized trees and some rockwork.

DTCR map

 

————————————————————————————————–

More About the History of the Gardens

History of the Gardens

Original landscape designer of the Gardens, Fanny Wilkinson

Other Links

http://www.parksandgardens.org/places-and-people/site/8299?preview=1

Enterprising Women: The Garretts & Their Circle

https://womanandhersphere.com/2018/07/09/the-garretts-and-their-circle-fanny-wilkinson-and-middlethorpe-hall/amp/

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close